The Union Street Farmers Market has been a staple to Bo Diddley Plaza since 1996. Vendors supply Gainesville residents with a plethora of fresh produce, baked goods and all-natural eats at affordable prices every Wednesday from 4 – 7 p.m. – rain or shine.
When we visited the last week of May, specialties included fresh watermelon, plentiful greens, even fresh bread and pasta.
Tips and Tricks when Tackling a Farmers Market:
1. Take a quick look around. If you pay attention to prices you can get the best bang for your buck. Reading the seller’s banner reveals that most produce is organic and preservative free.
2. Always carry cash. Most vendors only deal with paper over plastic.
3. Don’t confine yourself to just produce. Some vendors sell jewels and stones, grass-fed lamb and even lead-free scented candles.
4. Don’t haggle. Most of the products sold at the Union Street Market are at reasonably priced – so there’s no point in trying to get a bargain.
5. Try something different and have fun. Some vendors sell already-prepared food so have a snack and some fun.
Hope to see you there soon, meanwhile take a look at some great things I saw on my visit below on or CMC Apartments on Flickr.